The Free-Reed Journal
Articles and Essays Featuring Classical Free-Reed
Instruments and Performers
This article was reprinted in its entirety from the
July 1943 issue of Accordion World (New York).
Every Accordion Fan Should Know All the Answers. Do You?
1. What company was the first to introduce and market the Accordion?
The answers are:
2. What American accordionist made a sensational success on a tour of Italy?
3. What two brothers achieved fame as an accordion duo in 1913?
4. What accordionist was a cornet player at the age of five years?
3. What accordion player played an accompaniment for Rosa Ponselle?
6. What family was a big vaudeville attraction, using four accordions in their act?
7. Who was considered the handsomest accordionist of twenty years ago?
8. What accordionist plays more than thirty instruments?
9. Who were Palo and Palet?
10. What girl accordionist played the violin divinely?
11.What accordionist and comedian recently attracted Martha Raye to the same night spot four nights in succession?
12.What was the most popular type of accordion fifteen years ago?
13. What accordionist achieved fame through his whistling?
14.Who was the accordionist who fascinated Primo Camera?
15.What four accordionists were a featured quartet attraction about eighteen years ago?
16. Who is said to have played in the now famous glissando manner?
17. What two famous accordionists once played on the same ferry boat: one on the, upper deck,
and one on the lower?
1 8. Who played on the radio the first accordion with six different tones?
19.When was the accordion with two treble shifts first introduced?
20. What accordionist in 1920 had an act known as Mountaineers?
21. What Canadian girl accordionist was famous at the age of nine and still is?
22. What girl accordionist was known at the age of seven years as Rose Marie?
23. What pair of brothers were both accordionists and magicians?
24. What famous comedian played an accordion for his buddies during the World War?
23. What vaudeville act was known as the Accordion Jazz Band?
26. What Swedish accordionist was known as "Snappy Fingers?"
27. What organist played the accordion before the late King George of England?
28. What accordionist is now a famous "Oh Yeah" man?
29. What accordionist has composed the greatest number of original pieces for the accordion?
30. Who was the first accordionist to play with Pacil Whiteman?
1. Damian and Sons
2. Charles Nunzio
3. Deiro Brothers Pietro and Guido
4. Anthony GallaRini
5. Basil Fomeen
6. GallaRini Family
7. Dan Cervo
8. Frank Novak
9. John GallaRini and his son Anthony GallaRini
10. Tilde GallaRini
13. Anthony Di Mambro
15. Harry Sylverson
16. Frank Papile
17. Joe Biviano and Charles Magnante
18. Frank Papile
20. Nick Di Paul
21. Emilia Heyman
23. Rigoletto Brothers
24. Phil Baker
25. C.E. Williard's Accordion Jazz Band
26. Frans Franzen
27. Granville Smith
28. Anthony Labriola
30. The late Mario Perry
July, 1943 (slightly humorous ad)
Wanted: Accordion Teacher
Draft exempt man, or woman. Must
be qualified and specializing in accordion
not a Jack of All Trades. Prefer young
teacher who desires advanced teacher
training under artist teacher. Furnish all
details and references in one letter.
No alcoholics. Midwestern School.
Box 10, c/o Accordion World.
The Classical Free-Reed, Inc. staff gratefully acknowledges
volunteer Benjamin Lang who assisted in
the production of this article, as well as Stanley Darrow and the comprehensive American Accordion Musicological Society library.